Sunday, January 27, 2008

Psalm 145

The weekend of Feb 16 -17, I have a very cool speaking opportunity. The verse I was asked to speak on is Psalm 145. It is a great passage with lots of cool history. I will be team teaching with another Elmbrook staff member, Dick Robinson. I am really excited to teach with Dick. He is one of the best story tellers that I know, and is a regular Indiana Jones of Christian Missions. He is also a first rate scholar. Our styles are quite different, so at the very minimum people should be entertained by the contrast, but hopefully the something is gained by our interplay.

There are two verses that really stood out to me as I have read through the passage. The first is:
Psalm 145:4 One generation commends your works to another;

 they tell of your mighty acts.
this is part of why I am team teaching with Dick. It seemed appropriate to have this verse tangible demonstrated on the stage even as it is being taught about. Should be interesting.

The second verse is:
Psalm 145:16 You open your hand

 and satisfy the desires of every living thing.
On the surface this verse is one of the clearest in scripture about God's gracious provision for all.

Also, the whole passage is part of a Hebrew liturgical prayer known as the Ashrei.

I have lots of ideas about the passage, but still have not really nailed down what it looks like to me as a message...

If you have a few moments, you should read it and let me know what you think is significant about the passage: