Ok, so last weekend Emily and I had the opportunity to see the movie Juno. Ever since I saw the trailer I have been looking forward to it!First off, the movie is about a 16 year old girl who gets pregnant after having sex with her good friend. The encounter is basically an experiment for both.
Spoiler Warning: If you are going to see the movie, you might spoil it if you keep reading, as I am going to give away lots of details.
SO, after taking 3 pregnancy tests in the drug store bathroom, Juno realizes that the unyielding little plus sign is "one doodle that can't be undid."
Her first response is to get an abortion. So she heads to the abortion clinic that does not require parental consent. In the parking lot a Christian Classmate is protesting abortion all by herself. She tells Juno that her baby already has finger nails. This simple truth is enough that Juno in the end cannot go through with her abortion.
So... she turns to adoption.
SO on the negative side, perhaps the movie does give an overly rosy view of how well that teenage pregnancy will turn out... I think though that much of what Juno goes through is anything but glamorous.
On the other hand, it deals with some very mature and interesting issues.
The Beauty of Life
Abortion vs. Adoption
Infidelity, divorce, and marriage.
the effects of casual sex
The effects of self-centeredness on relationships,
Prolonged adolescence
How stupid aging 30-something guys can be dealing with young girls
Relationships and Love
Maturity
Family
One of the best lines, is when Juno's mom asks her where she had been and Juno replies, "Dealing with things way beyond my maturity level."
Overall, I found the acting awesome to be awesome, the script to be great, and the soundtrack perfect. It is a well constructed and thoughtful movie, that deals with some very mature and relevant issues in a way that cuts through many of the stereotypical preconceptions.