Thursday, January 10, 2008

Christians & Chlorophyl: Death to Life Story

So Kudos to my friend Charlie for making me aware of this, but apparently a recent myth busters episode brought new sonic integrity to an age old fundamentalist myth.

If you grew up in a legalistic faith you probably have heard many times about the evils of Rock music... about how rock music contains the drum beats of the devil and how the devil's temptations are strengthened by beats.
Charlie notes that:
I was actually taught in my Baptist school that if you played rock albums you were, in effect summoning the devil. In fact, one of the stories that we were told, illustrating the destructiveness of rock music, is that there was an experiment done where they played rock music and classical music to plants, and after some time, the plants exposed to the classical music thrived, while the music exposed the the rock music was withered and puny.


Bummer... I guess I have to burn all my beat laden music... No wait... Didn't King David more or less say that all instruments are capable of being played, strummed or beaten to the Glory of God?

Apparently David was right, and now there is some research to back it up.

Enter MythBusters.

While doing some research to determine if plants that were spoken to actually grew better, they also found that plants which were exposed to large amounts of “death metal” grew the best (even better than classical music & silence).

Charlie notes:
"I wonder what else I was lied to about as a child in the name of religion?"