
Due to the marvels of modern technology, we are no longer bound by our location. I can physically be in class and be texting with a friend in another part of the world and be surfing the internet and IMing another friend across the country and watching streaming video from YouTube or Google and checking sports score or stock market progress and reading world healines and listening secretly to my iPod shuffle and drawing cartoons in my journal and blogging and playing solitaire and finishing my message for the weekend and finishup a publication in photoshop.
Heck, I could even do all this, and take notes the same time, while listening to my iPod secretly. I can be all over the world all of the time... and yet, I wonder if I still have the ability to ever be in just one place at one time? Can I ever truly be fully present?
Here is the struggle I see. If I am strung out all across the world by way of the miraculous technological superhighway, where am I really? Where is my emotional center? Where is my integrity? Where is my personhood? Can I really handle being "omnipresent?" How does this "omnilocational personhood" affect me long term and in which of those locations does my soul reside?
According to Christian belief, God is already in each place I arrive at, and yet, being so distracted, I wonder if I can really be enough present in any one place to experience him...
Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
~Psalm 23:4
The pictures are ones that I took in Yellowstone National park. While it is incredibly cheesy, it was meaningful to me, that when I slowed down, I noticed that their was a heart shape in the rock. It occured to me that even if it is only my imagination creating it, that God knew I would see it, and he was aware that it would effect me in 2006. It is amazing to think how he worked in order for that moment to be perfect for me.