Saturday, February 18, 2006

the ACM, dancing baptists, & personal redemption

Wed was Elmbrook's Annual Church Meeting. It is sorta like a business meeting and part of the meeting is voting on the budget for 2006. This year Elmbrook really went all out and turned it into a celebration event with a Bistro, a special dessert, & Choreographed pastoral dance team. Anyone who knows me, knows the dancing thing is a stretch. At one point the person teaching us the dance told us that we should do the electric slide. When I told her I didnt know what she was talking about, she asked me, "What... did you grow up Baptist?" "Actually I did" was my response which sent the entire staff, many who also grew up Baptist, into hysterical laughing. I laughed to. I laughed because for the first time in so long I feel free to be myself. Elmbrook loves me for exactly who I am. I do not have to put on a mask, or try to fit in. It is enough that I am trying to love God and serve him. That feels really good. I love being a part of this church!
The meeting was also awesome & positive. It excited me that there are so many things that Elmbrook is trying to accomplish all over the world that are great. It is a big church, but still remembers that it exists to love God & to love our neighbors whether they live in Brookfield, or in Beijing.

Pictures from John Suder: http://sudar.smugmug.com/gallery/1213291/1/56753593