Friday, November 09, 2007

Blogging, disclaimers, and drive by "confrontation"

OK... I must be a little bit desirous of trouble because I blog my inner thoughts on the internet for the whole world to see. Being a pastor of at a church, and working with students and parents makes blogging an especially hazardous pastime. Yet, I still do it, which means I must desire the conflict on some deep repressed level of my subconsciousness.

I have thought a lot about this, especially lately, because a few people have been offended by various things I have endorsed, mentioned or opined about. I am always a little surprised when this happens... and I am not sure why. Today I got a phone call from someone who was very upset about my Blog... upset enough to call and leave me a long message about it...

Unfortunately their message also indicated that they will be out of town for a few weeks and would not be able to talk about it until then...

Anyway... all of that got me to thinking...

1. Should I have a blog as a pastor?

2. If so... how much should I censor what I write about... or reveal about myself and my thoughts.

3. Is there a way that I could truly write a disclaimer strong enough to somehow lesson the connection between "my ideas and thoughts" and "official Elmbrook policy and belief"

4. What things have I written about which were offensive to people? Was the offense avoidable?

5. How do we deal with conflict over ideas and new technology in a way that minimizes discord within the Church community?


What do you think?