
I am at the Catalyst conference in Atlanta, and I was going to live blog each session, but I can't since the WIFI here does not work... SO... now you are going to only get a few thoughts from the day....
One of my favorite authors, Patrick Lencioni, was talking about Jobs that suck this morning. He said this...
I talk to some managers who tell me that they do not take a personal interest in their employees because they just are not interested. They don't want to know the details of their lives. This may sound bad, but it is really ok. Organizations have many roles that work fine with an individual contributer. However, to be a manager requires that we care about the people who work for us... If we do not care about the people we manage we need to be an individual contributor... not a manager... The power of getting to know people is truly great....

My favorite speaker of the day was Francis Chan. He said many great things. These are a few of the best quotes:
"You can be a very successful pastor without loving anyone... I really do love my people... but this is a new thing for me... I could preach great sermons and was an awesome pastor and grew a church for a long time, but did it without loving God or People. I was not in love with God or these people... but man was I a good pastor."
I was talking to my wife and I realized that if Jesus had a church in SIMI valley... Mine would be bigger... if Paul had one... mine would be bigger....in fact, I am more popular than Jesus.
We were about to build a 60 million dollar building... but we stopped... wouldn't it be a better picture of Jesus to the community to feed the poor than to to build another church building.