Friday, September 07, 2007

iPhone price cuts deep.

There are articles all over the web right now about apples unexpected cut in the price of the iPhone. I think it is fascinating on many levels. It sorta reminds me of a story in the Bible about labors in a field. A manager needed some labors to work for him, so he hired some in the morning, but still needed more. He then hired more through out the day. At the end of the day, he paid them all the same. Those who had worked a whole day were outraged feeling that they deserved more. However, they had received exactly what they agreed to work for. Is this fair? Probably depends on your perspective.

I was shocked by the backlash of people feeling ripped off. They agreed to a certain price and got exactly what they paid for. If apple later decided that they now want to offer the same thing for a lessor price, I struggle to see where someone who paid more has the right to a "refund." It is sorta like haggling in Mexico. If you think you got a great deal on something, do not stick around the tent. If you do the next person will likely get the same thing for $5 cheaper, and now the shirt you would have paid $50 for in the USA but got for $15 seems like a rip off.

I am not really sure the moral of the story? What do you think?