Wednesday, April 12, 2006

An open letter to those who work in the food industry.

Dear all food service and retail workers,

While I can hardly speak for all of Christianity, I want to extend my apology, as a Christian, to you on behalf of our reprehensible behavior. I am sorry for all of the following:

For people who leave a Bible track instead of a tip;

For groups of Christians who turn your restaurant into their meeting place assuming they have the right to it;
--especially if they have done so and bought very little;
--especially if they rearrange your chairs and do not put them back;
--especially if they preach and pray really loudly so you have to hear it;
--especially if they scare off your other paying customers,
--and then especially if they leave a crappy tip after scaring off the good tipping customers...

For that matter, for anytime Christians are cheap in leaving tips, as we notoriously are;

For all the times we have given you unsolicited spiritual opinions about your life;
-- or have judged you and critiqued your life or appearance;

For any time we have been mean or impatient;

For the times we treat you as less than human;

For all of the hypocrisy which we have paraded in front of you all the while pretending to be perfect;

For all this and more I apologize!

Today, I especially apologize to Amanda, who works at my favorite Breakfast spot... I am really sorry that some Christian told you that you were going to go to hell, just because you have a tattoo of a heart on your hand.
It breaks my heart that you had to experience this, instead of the true love Jesus.

What you were told is not true.



(pic: http://www.frenzee.net/pictures/tattoo_hand.jpg)